Friday, July 8, 2016

Summer of Creative Chemistry wk 5 session 2. I love Prince

I'm not late. This session ends on Fridays, thank goodness. So this week I've played around with a lot of the techniques because I love the distress paints. Love the versatility. But when it came time to actually make something I drew a blank in the beginning of the week. And it was a long, long week. I went 5 days with less than a total of 3 hours sleep so it made me a little edgy, cranky, anxious,  all out crazy. And during that time I listened to a lot of music because what else can you do when you can't sleep and can't focus enough to read. Sometimes it's really hard for me to organize a playlist. I have a lot of music and it's pretty eclectic. Every once in a while I will start to build a playlist but I usually lose steam after about an hour or so. So then I allow all my music to shuffle through and go through the headache of fast-forwarding through some of my meditation music or tribal music or Christmas songs. I know one day I will actually sit down and get my playlists together but i have a solid back up plan until that miracle happens. I have one complete playlist on every device. It's well thought out and there is never a moment when I wouldn't want to listen. My Prince playlist is flippin amazing. While some of you may click on an artist and listen I cannot do that with Prince.  I used to make it a point to make his music into a playlist because of the lovesexy CD but now the main reason is i have over 1,ooo tracks. And while I love,love, love his music I have a lot duplicates, some extended tracks, instrumentals and lovesexy. For those of you that have it, you understand, Prince recorded the album as a single track, a 45 minute track. If I'm running errands I have no problems listening to lovesexy but if I'm on the treadmill or at my scrap table or trying to create something the 45 minutes and can be a bit much, it forces you to listen to it, sing along to it and to really focus on it. So it's one of the ones I take off along with the 16 minute version of 'Adore'. Surprisingly I keep my 21 minute version of 'Crystal Ball' and at least 2 versions of 'I Hate U'. So while I was in the shower with my Prince playing it made me realize, all over again, just how much I'm going to miss Prince. The entire soundtrack of my life has always been done to Prince. The first song I ever sang poorly and butchered badly was the Prince song 'Why you wanna treat me so bad?' And I remember singing it in the garage in Oak Park, 22nd Ave/44th St., it was on the radio and catchy and my 5 year old brain translated it to "why you wanna drink my soda?"(my lyrics became a family joke) But I was a fan before I knew what a fan was. And while  my mom hated it, Bobby made sure I heard every song. Singing the 'Dirty Mind' album on the playground is apparently frowned upon by everyone but my big brother. Prince was playing when i got dressed for my first dance at Kerr. Prince was playing after I found out my sister passed.  He was screaming in the delivery room when I gave birth to ReneĆ©, 'the most beautiful girl in the world'. He was all I could bear to hear when my brother passed. The highs,lows and every single breath in between has been lived with Prince singing me through. When I purchased his last album I had no idea it would be his last album,the last compilation put together by the musical genius that was Prince Rogers Nelson. My heart aches. Hopefully, he's helping Bobby with the guitar from 'Dinner with Dolores' or 'Orgasm'. Rest in peace, Michelle ReneĆ©, Robert Marcellus and Prince Rogers.

Paisley Park is in your heart 
Sometimes it snows in April 
the journaling was done after days without sleep.  It reads
Ladybug- n. My kid, a wish come true, a miracle  abbrev. Bug
Had I known the name might trigger certain characteristics would she have a different nickname? Instead of flighty,on the prowl for temporary happiness maybe I should have called her 'pious workhorse'.

No comments:

Post a Comment